On the heels of the global breach using SolarWinds, we decided this would be a good time to bring Security to Buzzkill. In this episode Hunter and Jay provide an introduction to our IT Security Series. As we explore the topic, we will talk to ACTUAL security experts about why it is so important to plan for security, not only as IT professionals, but as individuals.
In this episode we briefly describe 5 primary types of security that your Information Technology team should have in their security program:
- Personal Security which pertains to people’s personal information or exposure beyond and sometimes including their workplace. A lot of times this pertains to things like what people post on social media or how they manage their passwords.
- Operational Security referring to how secure an organization works on a day to day basis, and how much security is built into their standards and processes. This could also include how well the organization does in communicating standards, training and equipping employees to meet them.
- Information Security that refers to data or stores that contain, well, information. How are physical or digital files stored? What security exists around them, especially who can access them, but also pertaining to who has the ability to alter or remove them.
- Communications Security applying to telecommunications and other methods of verbal and written communication to individuals or organizations. Cyber Security especially pertaining to network security and digitized information.
- Cyber security is unique in that it can encompass nearly every other kind of security as well, especially information and personal security. The now ubiquitous nature of online platforms and digital tools for storing information and collaborating across the globe has made cyber security a particularly hot topic in recent years.
While this list is far from exhaustive, it covers many of the main areas of concern for security your organizational assets. We look forward to digging into these topics in more detail in the coming weeks as we bring a series of industry experts to share their experiences.